Friday, August 19, 2011

On Writing: Description in Writing

Hey!!

Description is something I really struggle with in my writing, I'm just bad at it. Dialogue? Great. Spotting plot holes? Fantastic. But Description? Most of the time I just forget to put it in, or when I do remember it comes out forced and awkward. I know, I know, that's what rewrites are for, but I hate rewrites (which is why nothing ever gets finished, if I finished something I'd have to eventually start rewriting it). I've spent a lot of time annoying the other writers in the Gaia writing forum about my lack of description problem, and though they have lots of helpful advice, I have trouble putting it into practice. So, I do descriptive essays (well not really essays) to practice description. I pick something, a room, and object, anything, although I prefer not to do people, and describe it in as much detail as I can, and I re-do it until I get it exactly the way I want it.

Don't forget to follow and like us on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment